Wednesday 4 March 2015

Cinematic Approach to both projects.

Before filming Daniel's Kite and Under The Sun. I want to look at the a few types of technique's and styles of filmmaking, that I will implement into my skills to make the best quality films possible. To make this possible I want to involve these skills and techniques relating to my camera setup for both project (SONY F5).

The first technique that I want to include within my cinematography skills is 'Rule of Thirds'.

Example 1
Example 2

Example 3


The rule of thirds is designed to separate film into 9 different parts. The lines are used to place the most important parts of an image on these lines instead of always putting the subject as a focal point of a shot in the centre frame. This works extremely well when shooting EWS, WS, MS or CU shots. An author called Dave Johnson says, "The Rule of Thirds suggests that you'll get the most interesting photos when you align the subject along one of these lines".  (2013, P.82). If I am able to use this framing style within my film work it will hopefully benefit on both films. It will mainly benefit for close up shots within Daniel's Kite and EWS and WS in Under the Sun. 

Another key technique that I will be using a lot of is the shot type "Extreme Wide Shot":


EWS Example #1 
EWS Example #2

The Wide Shot camera angle technique will be vital to my cinematography for Under the Sun as it will really help to emphasise action happening in both the foreground and the background of the shot. It will also help to show the lack of community around the area where the boys live. 


Another key technique that I will be using a lot is the shot type "Close Up":


Close Up Example #1
Close Up Example #2
The use of a Close Up shot will be vital to the cinematography and making of both Daniel's Kite and Under the Sun because it's one of the most impacting ways to show a character's emotion through the camera. With the Sony F5's high video quality this will look even more impressive as it will show character detail. 

I have physical forms for both Marked-up scripts for Daniel's Kite and Under the Sun within my portfolio. However when looking into the meaning behind the Script breakdown I found a quote from Cleve, B, who says, 

"The script breakdown sheet is the single most important production form during this phase because all future reference and production work will be based on it. Anything missing in the breakdown sheet is likely to be missed during the shoot on the set, and thus will be missed on the screen. It is essential that the utmost care be taken during this step of production". (2006, P.24).

To sum this quote up, everything I have included within my marked-up script and within this post must take note of everything, that I will need to know for the shoot in terms of shots, camera angles, lighting, and setup etc. If not then important factors could be missed when on the film shoots.  


References: 

  • Johnson, D. (2015). Take Engaging Photos Using the Rule of Thirds. Macworld, (2), p.82 (online).
  • Clevé, B. (2006). Film production management. Amsterdam: Elsevier/Focal Press. P.24.






No comments:

Post a Comment